View Single Post
Old 24-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 776 / Power: 19
KatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Chuwit unveils B100m public park in Bangkok

Report from Bangkok Post dated Saturday 24 December 2005 :-

Chuwit unveils B100m public park

By Wassayos Ngamkham

Bangkok residents are today going to get another big, but this time pleasant surprise from maverick Chart Thai party MP Chuwit Kamolvisit. The massage parlour tycoon-turned-politician has always had something up his sleeve to woo the masses. This time round, he has forked out 100 million baht from his own pocket to create a public park covering six rai of land on Sukhumvit Road Soi 10. The land was the scene of the gangland-style demolition of the Sukhumvit Square nightstrip on Jan 26, 2003.

The new ``lung'' of the city will be unveiled with an expanse of lush greenery and a blaze of colourful flowers to provide some fresh air for the public.

The design of the park is under the East-meets-West theme inspired by a combination of American and Balinese landscapes. ``I believe when the park comes into being, it will help motivate Bangkokians to be more health-conscious and get into shape. It also proves that we, members of the civic sector, can act on our own initiative without begging for help from the state,'' said the former Bangkok governor candidate.

Mr Chuwit said the idea to build the park was not fantasy. The plan was floated to the public in August 2004 by Mr Chuwit while he was running for Bangkok governor. The tycoon won 300,000 votes in the race before switching his career to national politics.

``The park project is consistent with a promise I have made to the public. To those who criticise me for wanting to score political gain, I dare them to try to emulate me for the sake of public good.

``I have no ulterior motive whatsoever. I just want to show that everybody can do his or her bit to contribute to society.''

He said he designed the layout of the park himself and spent about 100 million baht building it. ``The park has got an American feel to it. Loudspeakers will be installed around the park to play soothing music to visitors,'' added Mr Chuwit, as he exulted over a replica of the Washington Monument built in the park.

He considers the replica a milestone of his personal achievement. He said the stone will be engraved with his autobiography and the story of the park.

A variety of 30 large, mature trees have been planted. Sandstone blocks sculpted into Balinese floral have been placed around the park to add oriental ambience to the otherwise western surroundings.

Running tracks have also been paved in the park for sports lovers.

He said he is devising a series of activities to liven up his park, including an ``expedition trail'' for students and facilities for aerobics and fitness work-outs.

He said his is the second private park in Thai history. The first one dates back to the reign of King Rama V over 100 years ago. Its owner was a nobleman called Phra Sappakarn. It is now the location of Wachira Hospital.

Mr Chuwit said that in his research, he had discovered that Phra Sappakarn had set aside 27 rai of his own land for the construction of the park which was named ``Park Samsen''. Three years later, the land was mortgaged with Siam Commercial Bank. Later, in the reign of King Rama VI, the government of the time bought back the property and built Wachira Hospital on the site. The second phase of construction of the park has already been planned. A public library and possibly a UN environmental office will occupy the land. ``The park will be known by the name of `Chuwit Park','' he said.

Even though he used to make a living from nightlife entertainment businesses, he will not be allowing anyone to bring alcoholic drinks to the park.