View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Samster (eP)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 6631 / Power: 16
Black Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Page has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Batam Info / Interest / Help Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wala View Post
Ok, since I see some talk about FRUITS, let's touch abit on it. If in Jkt, I would buy fruits like mangosteen from mobile roadside vendors, they kinda cheaper. But in Batam, those roadside stalls selling fruits, I would not recommend. Truth is they really chop carrot unless u speak fairly good Bahasa, even then I found their weighing scale...from 1 stall I tried, 1Kg actual weight only 800g.
Coming from Malaysia, where every fruit market is a feast of colors and scents, Batam looks very disappointing for what is offered around Nagoya.

After a quick recce of HyperMart, Avava, Jodoh stalls and the stalls on the "avenue" that goes from City Walk towards Hotel Panorama, I found in this last row the best selection.
HyperMart had almost nothing interesting, except some good manga madu which were too ripen and did not last.

Few days ago I bought 4 kg of manggis at 20k/kg and 2 kg of rambutan at 25k/kg from a stall near the end approaching City Walk. Prices looked ok to me, but what is important is that all fruits are good. Not a single one damaged, all ripen and fresh. Wasting 1 hour to walk around attempting to save 10k is a nonsense to me. I bought them and I am still enjoying my sweet manggis.
(maybe the seller cheats on weight, but he does it with everyone and not only with the foreigner, since the weighting scale is always the same)