View Single Post
Old 23-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1740 / Power: 12
nono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant future
Re: Batam Info / Interest / Help Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaosinful View Post
After gaining much knowledge that you guys share I think its time to give back some.This post is to share my first hand experience on my trip to batam on 12 of march.I would also like to take this opportunity to learn from the veterans and hope first timers can learn from my experience and dont make those mistakes.
Thank you for sharing. We are all here to learn from each other. We were born not knowing anything.When we grow up,we still wont know everything and only mainly thru positive sharing and discussion,we can then learn more.

Quote:
Took the 910 ferry from habourfront to habourbay and took a cab to formosa to check-in.Tried to walk to the main road to catch a cab but the uncle wont budge on my attempted bargain and even show me the price list, ended up paying 50k.
When i walked out from the arrival hall at the Batam ferry terminal,getting a taxi isnt my priority. I would like to move around,head to the Horizon Ferry at Harbour Bay to get my boarding pass for my return to SG few days later. I walked,and when i walk...many will ask me if i need a taxi. Each approach by these people (porters,ojeks,taxi drivers etc),i will smile and quote them my price taking maximum 5 secs each approach. If they are ok,i will go...if not,i just keep walking to Harbour Bay Mall,later out of Harbour Bay itself and at times until i reach Kaha and then Formosa. (I will usually be able to get a taxi at my price by the time i reached Harbour Bay Mall)

And I cannot do the same in Batam Center (i may die walking to my hotel,hehehe...).

Quote:
Reached formosa shortly but room was not ready.So i walk around lucky plaza and opp formosa to scout for money changer.Most of the rates were between 9300-9350.The chinese lady money changer opp formosa saw me scouting so offered 9400 which is the highest i could find. just a note for those who want to change higher rates i notice nagoya mall main entrance to the left there is a money changer + Jewry store that offered the highest a among those around that area at 9410 as of today.
Have you check your interval timing between changing at the opposite Formosa and the one outside Nagoya Hill Mall?

Example :

Today,Yahoo finance rate is : 9,680.15/SGD

Yesterday Yahoo finance rate is : 9,600.15/SGD

1 hour ago today Yahoo finance rate is : 9,630.15/SGD

What i am trying to say is,going to a money changer in an interval of about an hour difference can always get different rate in Batam. By the time you reach the jewelry shop money changer which gives you 9410/SGD,the one opposite Formosa could already be going at 9450/SGD which you may have miss.

I have tested this a few times during the beginning of my Batam trip using a ghost-to-ghost hookup method having friends in different part of Nagoya Hill Mall outside (even inside) money changer and myself being in opposite Formosa's money changer. At almost the same min,we checked the rate together at different places.

No need to believe what i say now,in future after a few more trips to Batam,you can then testify it yourself,hence in my last trip,i shared exchange rates of one money changer in different parts on the same day.

https://sbfsg.shop/showpost.p...&postcount=808

And most time (in fact almost all the time),they will be different.

I do understand not many will do what i do,but this is just my habit in Batam since these money changers were so near to where i stayed and it usually takes no more than a min to walk there to open my mouth to ask them,hehehe...

Quote:
After changing money i went to nagoya mall and brought some essential stuff like huge bottled water ,CD and a "vitamin" pill (for those curious i brought from century at the Basement).There after i went back to formosa hotel area and walked around to familiarize myself ended up having bakutteh at one of the stalls(personally dont really like the taste of batam BKT).
Good to know that you know where is Nagoya Hill Mall,hehehe... (many has to take a taxi/ojek there from Formosa Hotel)

I bought essential items from Hyper Mart in Nagoya Hill Mall too,except big bottles of mineral water. Simple reason,i am lazy to carry the few big bottles of water back to hotel. And at the hotel,1st storey...turning left from hotel main entrance and keeping left w/o walking out of the hotel perimeter,there is a provision shop that sells essential items,hehehe...i bought my heavy items from there.

Its always good to walk around,to familiarize the area,especially near where you are staying.

Good job,bro.

Quote:
1200pm checkedin to the hotel and got my welcome drink.went to checkup the room while still waiting for the bro to reply me about meeting up since piror to the day he asked for my number but I dont have his.while waiting i looked up some of bronono guide on booking joints(which i intend to go to the 3 safest join as recommended by bronono) and also sample itinerary since i have not plan how i am going to spend my time there.
Yes, the 3 safe joint is New Berry,Gold Bird and Bunga.These 3 places were the main booking joint with the least runaways and more consistent service according to my own personal record. Once you "conquered" this 3 joints,next trip maybe even next next trip...feel free to up your game to the next level,hehehe...and then make comparison thereafter.

Safety is always one of my main priority.

Quote:
1pm went out to look for my companion for the night. 1st stop New barry since it is the nearest to formosa took me about a 6 minute walk. went in saw a group of guys sitting there and chatting, i just sat outside and wait for the receptionist (there is no receptionist i grew bored or waiting and just went in to see) a malay uncle greeted me and show me the girls. unfortunately i do not speak behasa,so while looking around the uncle keep on shooting me with behasa while the girls were also chatting among themselfs. didnt see any that i fancy and didnt really feel good with all the pressure on me so i make a quick escape.
Every booking joint also will have some pushy okt,it really depend if you would meet them. Learn to deal with it. Some OKTs even splash water from a pail upon customer leaving their shop w/o making a booking (not aiming directly at the customers) as a significant to ward off bad luck. In one of my summary,i stated that many feared entering the booking joint or if you read the old thread,booking joints were being described like a "crocodile den".

Go beyond the "crocodile den" level, Heaven on earth awaits you,hehehe...if you ever read my Batam group trip terms and conditions,the "punishment" for joining in my group trip w/o reading my guides and remembering them during a "test" by me is to WALK IN to a booking joint ALONE to ask for name card w/o booking the girls. Nothing to fear for season Batam cheongsters of course,but it can be a stumbling block for most Batam newbies who are like me who dont understand Bahasa Indo, hence i always say this in the thread,my Batam guide/s was written base on a newbie mentality for newbies. Newbies need to read.

Today,i can no longer write them again and if i do,it cannot be accurate.

Basic Batam Info in One Link

Avoid quoting the whole post if you are replying to me in the thread

信言不美,美言不信。
善者不辩,辩者不善。
知者不博,博者不知。
圣人不积,既以为人己愈有,既以与人己愈多。
天之道,利而不害。
圣人之道,为而不争。

My December 2019 Batam Trip Info