View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 12:33 PM
Samster (Donor)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 4030 / Power: 17
Penguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Divorced 10 years...Now wife wants more maintenance, what are my options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieYJL View Post
Haha! I presume she has reasons because she has children. Next time if I divorce, I probably get 0 since I don’t have children. Haha! So much be independent already since cannot open mouth at all
This is technically not true - a woman's right to alimony is based on the lifestyle to which she is accustomed to during marriage.

If, for example you regularly receive a sum of money every month in your bank account and you are free to spend it in any way you like and you can prove what you usually spend it on, that can be used to claim for maintenance after the divorce.

If a man is stupid enough to do that for the wife during marriage, usually they end up negotiating a lump-sum, often this is a bigger share of the matrimonial home in exchange for what would otherwise be an escalating and potentially never-ending monthly payments.

So I hope this become a useful guide on what a married guy should not do, and what a married woman should try to do.

I always think this is a bit of a silly move - if the wife is really keen on taking a lot of money from the husband, the best way is to get the husband to buy another property under joint tenancy, and cover this under an MRTA. Then kill the husband, so that way she gets a fully paid house. That will really be gg.