Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 92 / Power: 19
retsoor deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy
Re: Hanoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbl View Post
Hi, may i know what is "tay ba lo"?
Ba Lo is a Backpack. Tay is Western.

So...a Backpacker (or a Western Backpacker, more precisely..but there are not many Vietnamese backpackers anyway).
Many Vietnamese don't understand the exact meaning of the word "ba lo", they only understand that a Tay Ba Lo is a dirty, poor person living in cheap hotels, probably using drugs and what not.

Tay Ba Lo is basically an insult, it's derogatory, you can sometimes hear Vietnamese say that about "poor" looking Westerners. Tourists wouldn't be smiling so happily if they understood everything that is said about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai4u View Post
Try add in a dash of MEAN and see how it works... it usually goes well with those very pretty girls....
Yes, I think so too. The very pretty girls are too used to nicer stuff. But I agree with TP, cruel can never be good. It all depends on your body language as well, combined with what you say. You can ask really nice and caring questions, then do mean things with your body language, like exiting a door just before the girl and slamming the door shut before she can exit. Or the other way around, play nice on the body language level, try to mirror her movements, or even her breathing if you can, create rapport, and then say some more mean things.

I have recently started asking "Em da hoc cap 3 o truong nao?"

(what high school did you go to?)

The answer can tell a lot, if someone is from a privileged family, or if the girl really grew up in whatever city she says (a lot of people claim to be from HN or SG but are in reality nha que) or maybe if she didn't go to school at all, like Thao at Ho Guom Xanh. If I am confident I am talking to an upper-middle class girl, from a not poor background, I can answer, "oh, too bad I only go out with girls from AMS". Hanoi-AMS school is famous for it's spoilt, rich kids, and the tabloids are full of stuff about their wild parties (in reality they are not so wild), but it's probably also the best school in HN, together with Chu Van An (but Chu Van An is supposedly less "fun").

That AMS line works if someone is very confident already, was good at school, went to university etc - it's a little bit mean, because it makes them feel a little bit inferior, but the super-confident girls sometimes need to have their self-confidence attacked a little bit. But I would never say that to someone who did not go to a good high school, or someone who is not very confident.

You can also say, yes, I knew, I could see you are nha que. That's quite close to cruel from a Viet perspective, but in the end everything depends on the context, the body language, and the tone of your voice.

I am still sometimes very insecure. Too insecure to do any good. Like recently when I met a girl I had only briefly met before, I didn't remember she was THAT tall and goodlooking. I started feeling very insecure, was nestling around nervously with my laptop bag, and almost lost control...until I told her "Ha. Yes, you are nha que". She was suddenly a bit insecure. Every confident vietnamese girl gets insultet and insecure if you say that, and they are looking for confirmation that you don't really mean it. Of course, then you can go on and tell them that they dress well and what not. They will appreciate it more then.

I wish I could seem as confident as some of these models. They have learnt to appear confident, to have a super-confident body language, almost arrogant, look at models on the catwalk. If I was that confident with my body language I could meet them at an equal level. But I am not, so I get their confidence down a little bit, mine goes up, and we can continue to have fun...

It's a tough game with some of these "smart" girls. One of them has me by the balls. I need to squeeze out a bit of meanness to remain in control sometimes. If you're like me, and really like a girl, you will be more than nice enough most of the time already.

Last edited by retsoor; 09-03-2009 at 05:20 PM.