View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 5581 / Power: 22
etsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond reputeetsys has a reputation beyond repute
Re: phillipines, manaila, makati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zancer View Post
we had 2 bottles of gold label and some beers.
but i suspect the bottles are 'fake' as i had 'headache' the next day which normally i don't
No sir, I am yet to see fake stuff in bars .. but ... while venturing into a bar in Philippines in a far off place, I found out why some bars black label and such give headache.

Next day, I went back and thinking maybe my head was faulty, and then found out - They keep leftover bottles, and after a few months they mix it all and make it int one bottle and sell to one customer no kidding - and of course, the answer is "why throw good liquor" and they insist liquor doesn't spoil - of course, 99% of filipinos only know Beer and Tequila and local whiskey / rum (which is finished on the same day of opening) and nothing else, including bar tenders - they don't know about whiskey except to mix for customer - and never knew after a month or so, whiskey turns bad, once opened ..

I threatened to report the bar to the authority for serving expired liquor, and the bar tender was like why report when liquor dont expire .. and frantically the american manager turned up and he decided to fire the bar tender, and said since he rarely bother in the bar and rarely does anybody order loose liquor, he never knew his bartender was 'collecting' whiskey .. or he didn't bother with the occasional whiskey sale, and happy with his resort and the beer sale .. (for that matter, almost 90% or more tourists too stick to SMB/SML .. and rarely I see people ordering other liquor in smaller bars - bigger bars like Tabu - and Spicy Finger and Bed Rock and all - different story ... )

I got a brand new bottle opened in front of me, and it was compliments of the manager, though I left a 2,000 peso tip ... and when I went the next day during day time, with a friend, and with none of the day staff recognising me, I made my friend order Chivas coke - and the new bartender took out a new bottle, opened the cap and wrote date of opening and poured us a drink and when I asked why he wrote date of opening - he said manager strictly said the bartender will be fired if stock is managed properly and 30 days after opening, unsold liquor is sold at discounted price to staff, or used for staff party ... I hope I made some change to the fellow whiskey lovers

Now I stick to beer, and only if I can see the bar, I order other liquor, or get myself a bottle if I am in the mood, and if they bring open bottle, insist I see the bottle with cap and I open myself - and take back the left over liquor or distribute to staff to finish on the spot - no storing or my leftover ...

I had this perennial problem when trying to manage a friends' bar here, when the filipina waitress 'recycle' unused peanuts, and threatening to fire them didnt work, until one day, when the customer left, the girl brought back unused peanuts, and put inside the big container, and I calmly took the container and dumped everything in the rubbish bin - there was shock in the filipina waitresses face, and I told them I am charging the replacement peanut bags to the waitress salary - never had any more issue of waitress bringing back leftoever peanut and putting back in the big container anymore .. now customer leave, leftover peanuts go straight to rubbish and even now, i see the new waitresses following same instruction (something like monkey see, monkey do ..)

Only in the Philippines and only with filipinos