View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 2596 / Power: 11
destinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond reputedestinedt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Learn Thai language

Learning thai is honestly not too difficult, especially if you are Chinese and can speak Mandarin...
because you understand the 'tone differences'. Also, sentence structure is pretty similar in most cases.
Don't ever try to direct translate the sentence structure from English. Its 99% wrong lol.
I've had great success communicating with the locals that way at the beginning.
Once you speak the language, a lot more opportunities open up to you in ways you couldn't imagine...

Maybe first thing for u to learn is to ask questions.

Who What When Where Why How

5 senses See Hear Touch Smell Taste

One of the most confusing things to learn at the start is 'you' and 'i / me'..
because words like 'Rao' can be used to mean We, You or I.
Then there's the official 'Chan / Ter' which honestly is rarely used by locals...

Good, Bad, So-So, Hard, Soft, Strong, Weak, new, old, most, least etc..
are important to pick up as these words you will use quite frequently.

Common words of everyday objects and places
Toilet, Restaurant, Different types of Shops... Bowl, Chopstick, fork/spoon etc.

followed by expressions like feelings, happy sad angry etc.

then you follow that with conjunctions like And, Then, For, So, Therefore, etc.

After learning all this, you should be able to easily construct simple sentences

Also, if you are a beginner, don't bother learning any of the 'rude' words. Thais are generally very understanding, especially once they learn you are a foreigner.
But it still gives off a negative vibe and sounds crude if you try too hard.
Kind of like how we find it 'entertaining' when thai girls who work in clubs in SG
say words like 'CB', 'KNN' etc. But we don't necessarily like it