Thread: Vientiane,Laos
View Single Post
Old 30-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1124 / Power: 17
BlueDragon193 has much to be proud ofBlueDragon193 has much to be proud ofBlueDragon193 has much to be proud ofBlueDragon193 has much to be proud ofBlueDragon193 has much to be proud ofBlueDragon193 has much to be proud ofBlueDragon193 has much to be proud ofBlueDragon193 has much to be proud ofBlueDragon193 has much to be proud of
Re: Road trip from Pattaya to Vientiane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi6 View Post
Hi all..

A couple of days I drove from Pattaya..to do a visa endorsement in Vientiane. I just detail some information for anyone interested.
First day left Pattaya at 4 am. Reached Udon Thani at about 1300 hrs.Stayed the night and left early next day to Nong Khai. Parked car behind the 7-11 near the border crossing at 100 baht a day.
Crossing the border was easy. A short walk from the car park ..clear immigration..very few people there..then a 15 baht bus trip across the friendship bridge.
At the Laos side..fill up an immigration card..pay a 5 baht custom duty at a counter..clear immigration and cross a checkpoint where you slip in the card given to you at the customs.
From there I was surrounded by taxi guys and finally settled for a 150 baht minivan trip to Thai embassy then sent to my hotel..
If you need anything from the embassy..do it yourself. Some scammers wait ourside the embassy and offer you their 'visa' services for exorbitant prices. I was quoted 3000 baht for a visa which was free....so just a quick smile and firm 'No Thanks!' will do.
I took DuangChan Plaza Hotel. 570 baht with a decent breakfast. This a new hotel..small but with very friendly staff..
From this hotel was 20000 kip to the restaurant areas beside the Mekong. Haggled down from 30000.
The night was fairly ok considering I was not really looking for any company. Dinner at a french place behind Mix Vientiane..a few drinks..went to a building with 3 stories..cant remember the name though..but it had pool..a live band..and friendly people many wanting to meet and chat.
After a few drinks I decided to go to a farm but sadly the place the tuk tuk brought me..the lady showed me a few girls who looked underaged..so no go. Being sufficiently traumatised I head to a place called @Home brought curtesy by a friendly foreigner and we just chilled there. On the way back to hotel saw a Viet massage parlour so gave it a go. 80000 for a 'Jacuzzi' package. Place was a tint dirty .Girl wanted 400000 kip more for extras..gave her 250000..take it or leave it..she took it. Nothing memorable but was ok.
Breakfast at hotel was decent. Lao coffee was strong. Liked it so bought a few packets of Dao coffee at shop opposite hotel for 25000 kip per packet.
From embassy ..passport collection only took minutes and then another minibus trip for 100 baht to border.
Duty free cigarettes was worth it..only 500 baht for a carton of Marlboros..but alcohol were expensive.
Immigration was a breeze again and after another 15 baht bus ride back to Thai border immigration..I was soon in my car heading back. Had to stop in Korat for another night but I wont report on Udon amd Korat cos this thread is about Vientiane.

Overall..Vientiane was a quiet city but need time to explore. I honestly liked it and wanted to stay a few more days but work beckoned.
I find Laos girls to be beautiful and friendly..will be back!
Agree with your comments.